The fascinating political and ideological history of Cuba makes this an ideal destination for one of our favorite social science programs. You will learn of Cuban success stories as well as the many challenges facing the nation today. Hear a variety of Cuban viewpoints ranging from local guides to professors of economics at the University of Havana. Connect ideas with real life experience when we discuss resource management with the local forestry department. Visit a self-organized, sustainable farming village hosted by local Cuban families and explore traditional music and artisan markets. In Cuba, you will get to traverse caves, snorkel around the reefs, and hike through its breathtaking views!
|Jun 11th - Jun 19th 2019||9 Days|
|Mar 7th - Mar 15th 2019||9 Days|
|Explore Cuba Program - Double Occupancy (Adult Participant)||$3775|
|Explore Cuba Program - Single Occupancy (Adult Participant)||$3875|
Itinerary (Sample Itinerary)Download
- Private transfer from Havana’s International Airport to your casas particulars.
- Visit Fusterlandia, home of Jose Fuster, known as the “Picasso of the Caribbean”.
- Dinner at Cuba’s most famous chicken restaurant, El Aljibe.
- Visit Historic Old Havana: San Francisco de Asis, Plaza Vieja, Plaza de Armas + Plaza de la Catedral.
- Lunch at El Torre perched 25 stories above Havana.
- Meet with a faculty member of the University of Havana to discuss the economic history of Cuba from the perspective of the past, present and future.
- Visit Revolution Square.
- Dinner at Canonazo, cool new “Paladar”.
- Attend historical Canon Firing Ceremony in the evening.
- Full day excursion and hike to the beautiful mountainous province of Pinar del Rio.
- Lunch and tour at the only Cuban Organic farm on the island, Finca de Organico.
- Visit the famous tobacco farm, Finca de Tobáco. Take a guided tour and learn how this mainstay crop of Cuba is planted, harvested and prepared for shipping.
- Return to Havana casas.
- Check out of our casas and hit the road for a 3-hour journey to Cienfuegos, a waterfront city on Cuba’s south coast known as the “Pearl of Cuba” for its beauty.
- Lunch provided at oceanfront paladar, El Garto.
- Check into our casas.
- City tour including a visit to the Palacio del Valle and the Teatro Tomas Terry.
- Day trip to the historic city of TRINIDAD including a mountain expedition to the incredibly scenic and breathtaking destination of TOPES de COLLANTES, replete with jungle rivers and waterfalls. Enjoy swimming in the Venado pools and nature hiking.
- Return to TRINIDAD, one of the most historic cities of Cuba for a walking tour.
- Learn about the Cuban religion of SANTERIA.
- Experience authentic AFRO-CUBAN DANCING!
- Return to CIENFUEGOS to stay in casas.
- Pick up snorkeling gear and head to the VARADERO REEF for beach access and fish survey.
- Bus to CUEVA DE SATURNO for fresh water cave snorkeling.
- Visit an artisan market.
- Visit the Caves of Bellmar.
- Visit the artisan markets for any last-minute purchases.
- Check out of casas and head back to Havana.
- Lunch at D’NEXT.
- FAREWELL DINNER at paladar REJONEO, known for its authentic Cuban neighborhood flavor.
- Breakfast in casas
- Check out of casas and head to Jose Marti Int’l Airport in Havana for trip home
- Times and activities may vary depending on flight schedule