Following a day at the Arenal Volcano and La Fortuna Waterfalls, students will visit the Monteverde Frog Pond and Butterfly Garden to study the unique biology of cloud forest creatures. A visit to the Instituto Asis Wildlife Center and later the Las Pumas Rescue Facility will expose students to the different stages of rehabilitation animals go through to be reintroduced into the wild. Throughout the trip, students will compare water and soil samples taken at various locations and evaluate the health of local habitats. Bird watch at the Palo Verde National Park ranger station where groundbreaking research projects are taking place. For the grand finale, learn to surf in the warm waters of the exquisite Tamarindo beaches.
|Jun 16th - Jun 25th 2020||10 Days|
|Apr 4th - Apr 11th 2020||8 Days|
|Jun 9th - Jun 17th 2020||9 Days|
|Costa Rica Program (Student)||$3550|
|Costa Rica Program (Adult Chaperone)||$3750|
Itinerary (Sample Itinerary)Download
- Arrive at San Jose International Airport in the late morning
- Transfer to La Fortuna / Arenal
- Dinner Hotel & Check-In
- Visit Instituto Asis Wildlife Rescue Center
- Visit the Venado caves
- Fortuna Waterfall Hike
- Relaxation in the Arenal Volcanic Hot Springs
- White Water Rafting - Traverse several different ecosystems while viewing Costa Rican wildlife along the banks of the river. l
- Depart for Monteverde
- Visit a Frog Pond and learn aboutconservation,climatechange,andthethreatsto amphibian species and their habitat.
- Monteverde Canopy Tour - An exhilarating zipline trip through the cloud forest canopy
- Butterfly Garden - Spend the afternoon learning about different species of butterflies and their amazing biology
- Leisure time in beautiful Santa Elena
- Rio Bebedero Birding Experience
- Water + Soil Testing: Compare water and soil samples taken at various locations throughout the trip.
- Visit Las Pumas, a nonprofit animal rehabilitation center. Learn the different stages of rehabilitation the animals go through before being released back into the wild.
- Morning: Visit Palo Verde National Park and become part of ongoing studies run by university students and biologists at the Palo Verde Ranger Station.
- Depart for Tamarindo
- Learn how to surf in the beautiful, warm waters in Tamarindo.
- Depart for San Jose.
- Farewell Dinner
- San Jose Market Tour (dependent on flight schedule
- Transfer to Airport + Flight Home