Costa Rica is most notably known as an ecological wonderland. This in-depth program features two regions of the small nation that will give students better opportunities to delve into multiple field projects. This enriching ecological experience features work alongside scientists in sea turtle preservation. We will tour a sustainable coffee farm and work with foundations dedicated to the promotion of the conservation and sustainable development of Costa Rica. You will get the chance to zipline through the forest and surf the pristine beaches all while immersing yourself in the vibrant culture.
|Jun 12th - Jun 20th 2019||9 Days|
|Jun 19th - Jun 27th 2019||9 Days|
Itinerary (Sample Itinerary)Download
- Red eye flight to Costa Rica
- Group is met by Scholastic Expeditions upon arrival in Costa Rica
- Lunch on the road - Enjoy Costa Rica cooking
- Fundacion Nubotropica - Arrive at a research station and take part in forest ecology.
- Overview orientation on methodology of forest ecology - Fundacion Nubotropica
- Begin field surveying plots to compare with other forests - Disturbed Growth Forest Plot
- Enjoy a Local Pool
- Fundacion Nubotropica - Continue forest Ecology
- Primary Forest Plot - Apply forest ecology methods. Compare plots with disturbed forest.
- Coffee Tour - Participate in a tour and learn about Costa Rica's most important crop
- Transfer to the beautiful and exotic region of Matapalo Sea Turtle Project
- Enjoy an exhilarating Zip Line through a beautiful forest.
- Following WIDECAST protocols, patrol beaches at night and take part in sea turtle field science - Sea Turtle Patrols and Research
- Rain Maker Plantation - Trek through exotic forests full of wildlife and waterfalls, and contrast characteristics of forests.
- Sea Turtle Patrols and Research - Work in Sea Turtle Nursery, helping collect eggs.
- Continue Sea Turtle Research/conservation activities in Matapalo
- Experience the intensity of Rio Naranjo - White Water Rafting
- Surfing Classes - Learn how to surf with expert instructors
- Transfer to a Hotel in San Jose
- Farewell Dinner - Celebrate final evening dinner, recap field studies, say good bye to Costa Rica