Costa Rica is well known as an ecological wonderland. This in-depth program features two regions of this spectacular nation that will give students the opportunity to delve into multiple field projects. This enriching experience features ongoing work alongside scientists in sea turtle preservation and forest ecology. We will tour a sustainable coffee farm and work in conjunction with foundations dedicated to conservation and sustainable development in country. Zip-line through the forest canopy and surf the pristine beaches, all while immersing yourself in Costa Rica's vibrant culture. Pura Vida!
|Jun 18th - Jun 25th 2020||8 Days|
|Jun 11th - Jun 18th 2020||8 Days|
|Costa Rica Program (Student)||$3550|
|Costa Rica Program (Adult Chaperone)||$3750|
Itinerary (Sample Itinerary)Download
- Red eye flight to Costa Rica
- Group is met by Scholastic Expeditions upon arrival in Costa Rica
- Lunch on the road - Enjoy Costa Rican cooking!
- Fundacion Nubotropica - Arrive at research station and take part in forest ecology study
- Overview orientation on methodology of forest ecology - Fundacion Nubotropica
- Begin field surveying plots to compare with other forests - Disturbed Growth Forest Plot
- Enjoy a local pool
- Fundacion Nubotropica - Continue Forest Ecology
- Primary Forest Plot - Apply forest ecology methods and compare plots with disturbed forest.
- Coffee Tour - Participate in a tour and learn about Costa Rica's most important crop
- Transfer to a beautiful and exotic region of Costa Rica where you will participate in ongoing research efforts at the Reserva Playa Tortuga Sea Turtle Project
- Enjoy an exhilarating Zip Line through a beautiful forest.
- Following International Sea Turtle Congress protocols, patrol beaches at night and take part in sea turtle field science - Sea Turtle (Night) Patrols and Research
- Rainmaker Plantation - Trek through the exotic forests full of wildlife and waterfalls. Contrast characteristics of forests.
- Sea Turtle (Night) Patrols and Research - Help transfer nest to the Sea Turtle Nursery.
- Experience the intensity of the Rio Naranjo - White Water Rafting
- Continue Sea Turtle Patrols/Research/Conservation activities in Reserva Playa Tortuga
- Surfing Classes - Learn how to surf with expert instructors
- Transfer to a Hotel in San Jose
- Farewell Dinner - Final evening dinner, recap field studies, say goodbye to Costa Rica
- San Jose City + Market Tour (depending on afternoon Flight Schedule)
- Flight home